We rely on large trucks to deliver many of the goods we use on a daily basis and for valuable services, such as hauling garbage and carrying materials related to building and construction. As increasing demand has resulted in greater number of trucks on the roads, trucking accidents and injuries have become a more common occurrence.
At Fisher & Talwar, our Los Angeles truck accident lawyers make it our business to help those who have been involved in these types of accidents. We know that due to their large size and bulk, truck accidents often result in extensive property damages and serious, potentially life threatening injuries. We provide professional, experienced legal representation you can count on in these situations, so you and your loved ones can get the compensation you need to recover.
Common Types of Trucks Involved In Accidents
According to statistics from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), more than 400,000 truck accidents occur each year in the United States, resulting in more than 80,000 injuries and close to 4,000 deaths. In these accidents, it is often motor vehicle drivers and their passengers who suffer the most serious injuries.
There are various factors that can influence injuries you suffer as the result of a truck accident, and the height and weight of the truck involved is one of the most significant. At Fisher & Talwar, our Los Angeles truck accident lawyers represent those who have been injured in collisions with the following types of commercial vehicles, which the FMCSA advises are among those most commonly involved in serious and potentially fatal accidents:
- Tractor trailers, semis, and 18 wheelers;
- Flat-bed trucks and auto transporters;
- Tank or container cargo trucks;
- Dump trucks and concrete mixers;
- Garbage and refuse trucks;
- Logging, gravel, and grain trucks.
Types of Trucking Accidents Our Lawyers Represent
In addition to the types of truck involved, trucking accident injuries vary based on the type of collision. According to the Large Truck Causation Study, which combined the efforts of the U.S. Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are a variety of different trucking accidents that can occur based on road, traffic, and weather conditions, from improper truck maintenance or loading, and due to reckless driving behaviors on the part of the truck driver. At Fisher & Talwar, common types of truck accidents in which we represent victims and their families include:
- Rollover Accidents: Truck rollovers are one of the most common types of trucking accidents. They commonly occur in trucks that are narrow and top heavy, and can be caused by drivers who fail to navigate turns properly, who swerve out of their lanes, or due to uneven loading practices.
- Side Swipe Accidents: Another common type of truck accident, these occur when truckers attempt to switch lanes or pass and collide with other vehicles.
- T-Bone Collisions: These are common in intersections, and occur when a truck driver crashes into the side of another vehicle, either as the result of inattention or due to disregarding traffic signals.
- Rear End Collisions: This type of truck accident can happen while motorists are driving or when stopped in traffic or at red lights. They occur when a truck crashes into them from behind, either as the result of speeding, driver inattention, or due to mechanical brake failure.
- Truck Underrides: These are a common and particularly dangerous type of truck accident. They occur when a truck driver suddenly stops or slams on their brakes, causing the vehicle behind them to go completely underneath the truck’s rear bumper. As a result of the number of underrides that occur with semi tractor trailer trucks, the NHTSA now requires most semis to have underride bars installed on their bumpers.
- Head On Collisions: One of the least common yet potentially deadly types of truck accidents, head on collisions occur when the truck driver leaves their lane and crashes directly into opposing traffic.
Contact Our Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyers Today
Truck accidents involving motorists can result in severe and potentially disabling injuries. Medical treatments alone can easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, while you may be unable to work or even provide for yourself and your loved ones. In these situations, you need professional representation from an experienced truck accident attorney who can assist you in holding responsible parties accountable. Call or contact Fisher & Talwar online today and request a free case consultation to see how our Los Angeles truck accident lawyers can assist you.